Saturday, January 2, 2010

Homemade Pizza

Alice Water's pizza dough recipe. I made the dough last night, but ran out of time to make it for dinner. I let it rise slowly in the fridge for almost a day, then took it out about an hour before I needed to start dinner, divided it into two balls and let them rise. After about an hour, I flattened both balls into 5-6 inch discs and allowed them to rest for about 15 minutes, then rolled them out to about 10 inches each.

For the base, I opted not to make an actual pizza sauce. Instead, I combined chopped garlic, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl, then brushed the mixture on the dough. Next came a layer of crushed San Marzano tomatoes (as seen in picture #1 below), then a layer of shredded gruyere cheese, and finally, a sprinkling of chiffonade basil.

This pie had Salumi's salame.
The other pie had chicken & balsamic cippolini onions.
Into a 500 degree F oven for 10 minutes, and out came to beautiful, puffy, delicious pizzas!

No comments: