Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Already February

Time is just flying by. I am feeling a bit old as I think back to 6th grade when my teacher talked about how each year seems to go faster and faster for him. I was like, "huh?" Well, Mr. Bisetta, I think I am starting to understand you.

Anywho, I received our shipment of fruits and vegetables from Full Circle Farm today. We get a box every other week. As I was going through its contents and washing the leafy greens, I felt inspired by the fresh produce. I thought to myself, "What if I post about what I do with the stuff in this box?" So, let me try it...

Box Contents:
1lb purple top turnips
.75lb sunchokes
3 ea Cameo apples
3 ea Gala apples
1.5lbs garnet yams
1 bunch broccoli
1lb zucchini
.4lb cremini mushrooms
1 bunch Lancinato kale
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch green leaf lettuce

As mentioned, I washed the leafy greens. For the kale, I took the leaves off the stems and tore them into bite sized pieces before washing. For the spinach, I just picked the leaves off the long stems. And, the green leaf lettuce was torn into bite sized pieces as well. Now I have those greens washed, spun dried, and ready for use when I need them.

I also put the Chioggia beets into a pan, drizzled with EVOO, added salt & pepper, covered with foil, and they are in the oven (350F) at this very moment. I think it's about time to pull them out, actually. I will let them cool a bit, then rub the skins off with paper towels, cut them up and store them in the fridge for munching on later. Yeah, I would just eat them like that, or I many dice up a little shallot and toss it with EVOO, vinegar, salt & pepper. Better yet, I have some herbed goat cheese in the fridge. I'll make a salad with the green leaf lettuce, beets, and the goat cheese.  Ooh, and I made croutons the other day. Yum.

I'm really looking forward to the turnips and the sunchokes. I never really liked turnips until a couple years ago when my dear friend, Julia (and I don't mean Child) gave me some baby white turnips from her garden. I didn't really know what to do with them, even though I've used them plenty of times as a line cook. Her advice, roast 'em & eat 'em. Wow. It's truly amazing. All this time I was trying to think of what to cook them with, when they can stand all on their own. And, that day I first tried roasting them, my mother-in-law was in town, and she fell in love, too.

As for the sunchokes, same thing. I eat them like a snack!

No comments: