Friday, June 20, 2008

Gnocchi with Puttanesca

*Gnocchi - half of a box bought at MLK/Union farmers' market from La Pasta

*Puttanesca sauce - 1 cup of the sauce bought at same place as gnocchi

*Sauteed sugar snap peas & pea vines - snap peas from Alvarez Farm, pea vines from Oxbow Farm (both organic)
-cleaned peas & sliced them in half lengthwise
-picked leaves off vines, leaving the top tendrils attached, but discarding tougher bottom stems
-placed peas in one layer in saute pan, added water to cover 3/4 of the way up the side of the peas; olive oil, S&P; covered and cooked on high for a couple minutes until most of water evaporates. Added pea vines and sauteed another minute. Added a nug of herb butter.

Although my peas and pea vines tasted great, I was disappointed in how overcooked I let them get. I thought that adding enough water to cover 3/4 of the way up was too much. I think about 1/4 of the way, and add more water as needed, or cooking with the lid off. It was quite delicious nonetheless. And, the puttanesca was better that it was the first time I had it, and it was great with the gnocchi. Oh, and I finished the gnocchi/puttanesca dish with chopped parsley.

No comments: