Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pasta with wilted greens, Arugula & parsley salad, Roasted carrots

Last night's dinner was a bbq at a certain well known chef friend's house.

Here's tonight's meal:
*pasta - sauteed kale and beet greens with garlic and scallions, all from Oxbow Farm (we have their CSA this summer), and a touch of white wine vinegar, tossed into pasta, and finished with torn pieces of opal basil (from my small plant sitting on the kitchen window). Salted boiling water for the pasta, and salt & pepper for the greens, of course. Did not add anymore seasoning to the final dish.

*puttanesca sauce - from La Pasta, served on the side, to add as desired.

*salad - baby arugula from Willie Green's Organic Farm with whole flat leaf parsley (can't remember the name of the farm), with Black Creek Buttery cheese (see photo) from Estrella Family Creamery, dressed with Drew's All Natural Rosemary Balsamic vinaigrette (the last of our bottle), salt & pepper.
*roasted baby carrots - Also from Oxbow. Salt, pepper, olive oil, wrapped in foil and roasted at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.

*couple of potato rolls from Essential Baking Co. with EVOO & balsamic vinegar for dipping.

**Given the small amount of basil I used, I could've just omitted it. If I had more, then it may have been a nice addition, but it's hard to say from tonight's meal, since I couldn't taste it at all.

Although the cheese was softer than a parmesan, I felt that it was a nice alternative with it's rich, buttery flavor. The salad could've used some shallots and chives. DOH! I had some shallots I forgot about it, and I had extra scallions. Oh well.

I used a few store bought stuff for this meal, but it was mostly from our local farmers. Even though I bought the rolls at QFC, it's still local.

Everything tasted delicious. I could've gone without the puttanesca, but I had & didn't want it to go to waste.

No comments: