Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Thank you, Jamie Oliver!

Okay, so this wasn't one of his dishes, but he inspired me to make this. I was looking at his newest book & came across a zucchini carbonar. It looked super yummy. I was already thinking of doing something with bloomsdale spinach and bacon, but hadn't thought about making a pasta. I know, seems like a given, right? Well, I didn't have any cream in house, and I didn't want to mess things up by trying to fudge the dish with half & half or milk. So, no carbonara, but oh so delicious.Spinach and bacon fiori pasta with finely shaved parmesan cheese.

Cut up the bacon & cook in a large skillet. After the bacon is nicely rendered and crispy, drain most of the fat. Add chopped garlic. Deglaze with Madiera wine, and scrap the pan. Allow to reduce by half, then add the washed spinach. Wilt down the spinach and add about 2 tablespoons of cold butter, cut up into pieces. Once the butter is melted and there's a little buttery sauce, add everything to cooked pasta.

I forgot to season with pepper, which I think would've been great. I didn't have to add any extra salt, as the bacon & the pasta cooked in salted water added enough saltiness to the whole dish.

Grate your parmesan on top and enjoy!

No comments: