Friday, April 30, 2010

Vegetable Risotto

Oh, this was good. Really good. I got the idea for this dish from America's Test Kitchen, for a spring vegetable risotto. I used the recipe as a guideline, as I've made risotto many times, but it have me some new ideas, which was nice. I liked how it suggests putting the vegetables trimmings into water to make a broth. I also liked the addition of garlic with the onions (I used shallots). It called for asparagus and peas. Tyler is possibly allergic to peas, so I didn't use them, but I had asparagus in house. It was a really great last minute meal, if I do say so myself. In addition to the asparagus, there's zucchini and crimini mushrooms as well. Rather than mix the parmesan cheese into the dish, I served it on the side with extra-virgin olive oil. Vincent likes to sprinkle his cheese himself, and though he could use the extra fat, I can't. One the side made the dish only a tiny bit healthier.

The salad is baby arugula with proscuitto and pinenuts with a pear balsamic vinegar & extra-virgin olive oil. Minced shallots. Use minced shallots in your salads. So good.

For Tyler, I put some of the vegetables in a food processor and chopped it up finely, then added it to the risotto.

3 comments:

jen said...

oh yum. please come and be my personal chef. the shrimp looks awesome too. shrimp is about to get waaay more expensive thanks to the oil rig in the gulf that exploded and sank (gulf shrimping season was cancelled). so, eat them up while you can!!!

jen said...

oh, and shallots. i go through phases of using them tons, then i sorta forget about them. this inspired me to get some to serve on the salad tonight.

ayhunt said...

I forget about shallots, too. I LUV, love them. I also like chopped chives in my salads, but they're hard for me to keep fresh.