Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chicken Orzo Soup

aka: Chicken Noodle Soup

The chicken stock I made the other day got turned into two different soups. The first, veggie pho, for friends who just had their first baby. I used this pho spice packet, in addition to adding fish sauce. I boiled off some rice noodles for them, julienned a couple vegetables (carrots and broccoli stems - it's all I had on hand for a last minute meal), and gave them a package of Trader Joe's teriyaki flavored tofu. I put this all in a "kit" for them to cook up at home.

The remainder of the chicken stock got made into traditional chicken noodle soup. I actually had 3 chicken breast, still on the bone, that I used broke down for chicken Marsala Sunday night. I added the bones to the stock with some vegetable trimmings and simmered for an hour or so yesterday. I also set aside about 3-ounces of chicken that I cooked for the 'Marsala', to add to my soup. 

**Here's a quick little Amazon Fresh tip: when buying Mary's Organic chicken breasts, go for the 12-ounce 'split bone-in breast' over the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You only get one, and you have to take the time to de-bone it, but it's more cost effective. You do waste the skin. Although, if you are so inclined, you can make crackling out of it. I buy two of those, versus the package with two breast, for less money and I get to use the bones for broth. In this case, I enhanced a stock I already had, rather than make more, but the result was a super tasty soup.

Carrots, celery, shallots (I ran out of onion), and garlic, sweated. White wine, deglaze and reduce. Add chicken stock, a sprig of fresh thyme, bring to a boil. Add diced, cooked chicken and pasta of choice. I used orzo, which I cooked first, but I don't think it was necessary. I par-cooked it because I thought my broth would get too cloudy from the pasta starch. I don't know. Maybe it was unnecessary.

We didn't eat the soup until tonight because I thought maybe letting it sit overnight would intensify the flavor. It was still pretty darn good yesterday, though. And, tonight...totally hit the spot for this chilly, low 40s, winter day.

No comments: