Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cookin' & Not Much Reportin'

Since Sunday, I believe I have cooked dinner at home every night this week. Whew! I remember a few years ago telling my brother-in-law about my 30-day dinner challenge, and he was kind of surprised by this, since he and his wife cook just about every single meal at home. They live in a small mountain town in North Carolina, so it's part of their lifestyle. I felt so spoiled. I guess, I still do. My mom cooked just about every night growing up. The only times she didn't cook was if there was some event to go to, which was pretty rare. So, yeah, I'm spoiled. But, one day, I think my kids will be saying something about how much I cooked at home for them...maybe.

Anyway, I cooked a lot in the past week. Here's what I made:

Sunday - chicken Marsala with whole wheat penne, sauteed kale
Monday - French dip sliders. I can't remember what vegetable we had! I think maybe there was a butternut squash soup...
Tuesday - Ooh, this was good...David grilled tri-tip steaks on the barbie, since it didn't rain! Served with roasted Brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes. I almost made a chimmichuri sauce, but ran out time.
Wednesday - chicken noodle soup (see previous post)
Thursday - ramen noodle soup with broiled steaks, marinated with Asian-flavors (soy, sesame, ginger, garlic)
Friday - leftovers night. Okay, I didn't really cook this meal. I reheated leftover Thai from lunch yesterday, cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles, and reheated some bolognese sauce, which I stretched with some extra tomatoes. Vincent actually ate very well, even though he only took about a tablespoon of sauce.

Tonight, as per Vincent's request, I'm going to make breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, bacon, sausage (because the boys disagreed on the meat), and maybe eggs. Protein-packed!

No comments: