Friday, January 25, 2013

Fish Tacos and Clams With Black Bean Sauce

I suddenly craved clams! Must find clams to cook...And, in my head, I tasted my clams with black bean sauce. My actual clams didn't turn out like the one's I've had at Chinese restaurants, but these were definitely tasty. I basically started with a little bit of oil and some slivers of ginger. I added some Chinese sausage coins. Next, my clams with about 1/4 cup of rice wine, and a teaspoon of Lee Kum Kee brand black bean garlic sauce. Cover and steam. Five, maybe six minutes later...
Oh yeah, there was some Chinese celery in there, too. Not sure I needed it, but it didn't hurt things. I may have liked a little bit of pepper flakes, or even just white pepper, for a little kick. Such nice flavor, though.

Along with this, we had fish tacos...sort of. I cooked up a pound of true cod. The pieces were super thin and delicate, so I just gently cooked them with a touch of oil in a nonstick pan. There was no color on the fish, no crust, just cooked with a little salt. I served this with flour tortillas and a little "Asian slaw."
Red cabbage, carrots, shallots, cilantro, toasted sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and white pepper.

And, yaki soba noodles! I doctored up the stuff you get in a package that comes with a dry sauce you sprinkle over. I added carrots, Chinese sausage, and some of that Chinese celery. Pretty simple.

Tyler ate three portions of half tortilla with fish inside. Yes, basically 1.5 tortillas and some plain white fish. He also had some noodles. Vincent ate a tiny bit of fish, just as much tortillas, and mostly noodles.

No comments: